Go Back   High Performance Trucks Forums > Welcome to High Performance Trucks > Lounge

Old 12-06-2007, 09:02 AM

I vaguely remember seeing those rules some time ago when I was doing research on building my safety structure in the truck. Seems relatively affordable after all.

Btw, when prepared correctly those old fox body mustangs can be very fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06RangerSTX View Post
You are correct that it would and does cost quite a bit of money to be able to compete against Porsche and Corvette, but lets think smaller... but consider a class like the Improved Touring Truck class for SCCA... all they are allowed to do is change shocks and coil springs and sway bars, but yet they keep up with the civics, mustangs, etc...

http://www.atl-scca.org/Documents%20...ck%20Rules.doc

Sy#2419

www.barbellcompany.com
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2007, 04:20 PM

That truck is owned by a friend of mine, his name is Matt Boshar... he used to run a Mustang with pretty much the same setup, but he was telling me that he was 3-4 seconds faster with the Ranger over the Mustang on the same track... yeah it looks very tight in that interior of that truck,

on the Scales, he was able to achieve 50/50 weight distribution; which I find incredible... he is planning on running with the American Iron class in the NASA organization...

Oh I know a mustang is capable of being incredibly fast when properly setup...
Old 12-09-2007, 08:44 AM

Wow 50/50?!!!

That's very hard to do short of making the truck mid engine.

Is the motor aluminum? Must have shifted a bunch of stuff to the rear and it being 2WD helps I'm sure.

We've corner weighed my Sy and plugged in the estimated weight loss and relocation of parts into the equation and figured the best we can hope for is 56% up front and 44% rear with the aluminum motor, radiator in the "bed", lighter front end body panels, skeletonized hood support, chrome moly tubular front suspension and transmission moved reward 4 inches. We'll know for sure when the truck gets re weighed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06RangerSTX View Post
That truck is owned by a friend of mine, his name is Matt Boshar... he used to run a Mustang with pretty much the same setup, but he was telling me that he was 3-4 seconds faster with the Ranger over the Mustang on the same track... yeah it looks very tight in that interior of that truck,

on the Scales, he was able to achieve 50/50 weight distribution; which I find incredible... he is planning on running with the American Iron class in the NASA organization...

Oh I know a mustang is capable of being incredibly fast when properly setup...

Sy#2419

www.barbellcompany.com
Old 12-09-2007, 06:22 PM

Old 12-09-2007, 06:36 PM

I am not sure on where he mounted the motor and transmission... all that I know is that the motor is something like a 306ci stroker...
Old 12-09-2007, 09:56 PM

Okay, the 57% front weight bias is more like I would expect for a 2WD pickup setup properly for roadracing.

Sy#2419

www.barbellcompany.com
Old 12-10-2007, 04:12 AM

oh ok, I guess I read it wrong, sorry about that...
Old 12-26-2007, 04:41 PM

WOW I thought trucks only ran in nascar. Any body have any thoughts on Toyota going to nascar?
Old 12-26-2007, 06:04 PM

I am not a huge fan of Toyota, but they have done a few impressive things in the last 10 years... I am a fan of production based racing, like the old Pro truck series that SCCA had in the early 90's, they were very basic but very very effective in many ways, the cheapest way into the sport by far... atleast that is how I feel I am trying to get the interest to start a sanctioned body for just truck racing, hold truck racing schools, all the way up to competitive racing... I feel that there is a market, but people need to speak up for what they believe so I am not left alone in the dark having to read about people wanting to do this and that with their trucks...
Old 12-26-2007, 10:40 PM

I think Toyota's move to Nascar has demonstrated their ability to make some of fastest pushrod V8 race engines in the world. The chassis design regulations are very stringent and don't allow much build variation between teams, so besides driver ability and chassis setup really it's the choice of powerplant that sets the top teams apart, IMO.

Btw, are Nascar trucks really trucks? Same for the cars. Thin skinned silhouette bodies wrapped around a steel space frame. Kind of like Trans Am cars w/o good brakes and tires.

The Guinness World Records defines of a truck as “any vehicle that features a flat load bed at its rear which stretches the entire width of the vehicle and at least one third of its length.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom10 View Post
WOW I thought trucks only ran in nascar. Any body have any thoughts on Toyota going to nascar?

Sy#2419

www.barbellcompany.com

Last edited by Barbell Company : 12-26-2007 at 10:45 PM.