Go Back   High Performance Trucks Forums > Welcome to High Performance Trucks > Lounge

Old 01-03-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06RangerSTX View Post
what were you driving???
80 Camaro. Built up like a race car that was streetable.
Optima battery, Thrust glasspack exhaust
Kenwood stereo and front speakers
Tuned with Livewire PRP, shift kit
4.88 w/TruTrac carrier.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...100_0291-1.jpg
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06RangerSTX View Post
I am not a huge fan of Toyota, but they have done a few impressive things in the last 10 years... I am a fan of production based racing, like the old Pro truck series that SCCA had in the early 90's, they were very basic but very very effective in many ways, the cheapest way into the sport by far... atleast that is how I feel I am trying to get the interest to start a sanctioned body for just truck racing, hold truck racing schools, all the way up to competitive racing... I feel that there is a market, but people need to speak up for what they believe so I am not left alone in the dark having to read about people wanting to do this and that with their trucks...
Hey I agree, I am on board! I prefere to compete with 2005 Tacoma X-Runner, this will be my 4th year with it. I started out with Milwaukee Region SCCA and some other local SCCA groups in Wisconsin but as soon as I put the 14" front brakes and disc's rear, they moved me into a street-mod class. So from H-stock to SM, not very good. I will still show up to parking lot courses because their is no better way to sharpen your driving skills and learn truck control in a more affordable way.

Last year I competed with Midwest Council a road racing group in C-mod class and I loved it. The truck is better suited to road courses anyway instead of tighter parking lot courses. I also ran on Road America topping out near 130 (stock motor) and was an instructor at the event the last 2 years.

I have joined NASA and plan to participate at their Road America event this year and more next year to get my liscense and eventually compete in time trials. I am looking for some help for a rear wing. I am installing an aluminum roll-back type bed cover to eliminate drag and I am looking for a wing design to mount on top of the bed cover and what angles. I have seen numerous pics of the NASA trucks but was unable to get a hold of any of the teams as of yet. I am more concerned with size of the wing and angles to prevent rear lift. With the open bed, the tailgate acted like a rear wing pushing it down and keeping the truck pinned on the track.

Lot of people always ask about why I run a truck. Why not. I can use it as a truck during the week and still beat more than half the field on raw time at a Midwest Coucil event, that's good motivation.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:53 PM

Just think about all the things initially wrong and should be corrected when converting a typical street truck into a competitive racer:

-Poor weight distribution. Front is heavy tendency to understeer, rear is light tendency to oversteer or get no grip unless the vehicle is AWD.
-Typically higher center of gravity compared to sports cars. Difficult to lower because of body mounted on top of frame.
-Poor torsional stiffness requiring massive amounts of creative roll cage tubing to create a spaceframe.
-Aerodynamics of a condominium.
-Lousy brakes unless you have the likes of a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT or Porsche Cayenne Turbo. Weight transfer require creative brake system designing to avoid the rear from locking up or the front from melting down.
-19th century chuckwagon suspension. Independent front suspension components are typically beefier and subsequently heavier than sports car IFS adding considerable unsprung weight. Rear suspension is typically of the leaf spring variety which make it very difficult to keep the axle centered. (A solid rear axle can be a plus though.)
Truck steering tend to be sloppy, vague and unresponsive.[/quote]

I agree with it all but at the same time I look at all the negatives of a truck as an opportunity to improve.

Poor weight dist., yup I am at a 56/44 differance only thing that saves me on the track is the long wheelbase at 128 inches. I remember last year at Auobahn north track I came out of turn 5 too hot and the rear started to swing around, so I was going 70 sideways down the middle of the track, never got off the throttle, got it turned back and only put 2 wheels in the grass and still finished my lap only 5 seconds slower than my fastest lap.

I lowered mine carefully using a pair of 2" drop coils from Renton up front and a custom steel 3" drop block rear with Calvert traction bars and it is lowered another inch by running 285/30 tires vs. stock 255/45. Your right about torsional stiffness also. With the rear x-bracing it stiffens the rear nicely for a stock setup but add the calverts and the rear is even stiffer which is very good on the track. The front coils are 15% stiffer rate over stock and with the negative front camber I rarely have had issues with the front. I can do the kink at Road America at about 100 with no squeeling tires whatsoever.

Now I am working on an aero package this year with a new front lower spoiler design and sealing the bed with a rear wing for down force. Trucks are a challenge but it my opinion it would be boring to get a sports car, make a few changes and your done. I have always viewed racing as a test platform, always testing new ideas and parts. If I was a professional race driver, I would be a test driver like you see on Formula 1 teams, turning test laps to setup the cars for the real race drivers. Everyday I race the truck on a road course is a test session in my book.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom10 View Post
Nascar fans are very upset at Toyota being allowed into the competition. I live around detroit and see them out selling the big 3 here.

As far as what vehicles are there just a name stuck on a body style. There are no 'stock' cars so why call it nascar?
I do not have a problem with Toyota in Nascar. Their first truck race, they qualified all of their Tundra's and by lap 7 were leading the race. I have always known what TRD can do and I just think Nascar fans do not know the power of Toyota racing programs minus Formula 1 ofcourse.

I have worked with TRD in the past running hot pits for the PPI-Toyota team and driver Ivan Stewart, working the pits with Rod Millens Tundra when he raced with CORR and fielding my own Baja truck 13 years ago with Toyota.

And to see 3 Toyota's qualifying in the top 5 including a 2nd by Waltrip for the 2008 Daytona 500 shows you how quickly Toyota can move up in Nascar.

Do you have a truck you compete with?
Old 02-12-2008, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR39 View Post
I do not have a problem with Toyota in Nascar. Their first truck race, they qualified all of their Tundra's and by lap 7 were leading the race. I have always known what TRD can do and I just think Nascar fans do not know the power of Toyota racing programs minus Formula 1 ofcourse.

I have worked with TRD in the past running hot pits for the PPI-Toyota team and driver Ivan Stewart, working the pits with Rod Millens Tundra when he raced with CORR and fielding my own Baja truck 13 years ago with Toyota.

And to see 3 Toyota's qualifying in the top 5 including a 2nd by Waltrip for the 2008 Daytona 500 shows you how quickly Toyota can move up in Nascar.

Do you have a truck you compete with?
I personally don't mind the fact Toyota is in. I want to see them kick GM's asses. One of my favorite drivers switched to Toyota this season. Now if the rednecks favorite son went and switched there would be rioting. They're having a hard enuff time with the open wheelers coming into the sport not to mention they weren't born here. I don't care who you are. I'll give you what you want but kick your ass all over the track when the green flag drops.

I used to tune for a couple of ARCA drivers after our local track closed and they moved up. I used to work at Holley carb and had access to equipment and parts. That's how my partner and I got together. I had all the hot engine parts and he had a race car. We had carbs that never existed and pet engines that came out of the engine shop next door. I worked for a Nascar sponsor and went with one of the field engineers to the races to help out. We were running nascar experimental parts on our late model and just had to give them back when we were done.

Amazing that Waltrip got where he did. The guy has hit the wall before taking the green flag. Qualifying times are so close a bobble sets you back. My friends are picking 20 and 88 to win.

I have a 2002 5.4L 4wd with the FX4 package. It sits too high for me now. It's a good excuse to lower it down. I've found parts/kits to drop it as much as 6 inches. Thhe engine is under going tuning now to see what I can wring out of it. Once it's in your blood it never leaves. I have monitoring in the tuner and cornering/accelerating data logging in my radio.
4.88 w/TruTrac carrier.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:26 AM

I am also a member of NASA, as part of the Ohio/Indiana Region or now called Great Lakes Region... the lightning guys run something that electronically controls the tailgate, it keeps it at a specific angle in order to produce downforce, I am considering on doing this type of setup or do like you are doing and cover the bed with a wing on the back, I am thinking about running a all aluminum custom bed cover with a adjustable rear lip spoiler on the tailgate to keep some downforce...

you are lucky because the X-runner pulls .90 G's on the skidpad from the factory, and was designed to meet handling goals of the 350Z...

Last edited by 06RangerSTX : 02-14-2008 at 06:28 AM. Reason: needed to add some information
Old 02-14-2008, 07:26 AM

Sounds trick. I'm trying to determine what exactly I want with all the parts that are available. I've seen one part for the front for a 4" drop and all kinds of parts for the rear for up to a 6" drop.
4.88 w/TruTrac carrier.